Monday, June 15, 2009

Exit T20

So we have been kicked out by England. This should have brought my world crashing down a few years back (umm, maybe quite a few years back!) and I would have been fuming at the incompetence of Dhoni, the lethargy of Ishant, the arrogance of Yuvi, the block-headedness of Yusuf, and so on. Instead I found myself applauding Broad for his resilience, the English spectators for their goodnatured mirth....even Pietersen for his focus. True, it is disappointing to go out in this fashion, but somewhere one also realised that the team was not the best in the tournament, it was not working as well as it did the last time; somewhere one can see that Team India was underdone. And it is all right! The team is human, after all. In Mahi we have a potential great; let us give him the time and space to carve out a splendid team that does not get blown away by het or wet, rain or snow.

For me the best sight was the Windies winning and showing the joy that only they can show on the cricket field. I for one would be glad to see this Windies team claim its rightful place in world cricket. For too long have they been mismanaged. Those of us who have seen Lloyd's and Viv's and even Richie Richardson's team, they will know what the succeeding generations of fans have missed - the grace shown by a generation of unconquered champions in victory and defeat, in the field and off it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop in a line, I'd like to hear from you.
Pat